Prior to 1974, while the head coach of the time could offer his advice and thoughts, the final say on the first eleven was down to the Match Committee.
Although early training sessions were supervised by the Team Captain, it seems that as early as 1886 Queen's had a paid trainer to assist with the team's fitness.
Richard Robinson's 1919 book on the club details that before the club's English FA Cup tie against Preston North End in October 1886, the Lancashire club were most unhappy that "the club employed a professional trainer, Fairley". Preston had considered protesting about this, believing that the cup rules were breached if an amateur club had a professional trainer.
However, Preston made it clear before the game they would not use this as an excuse to protest, and a 3-0 win for the English side rendered the issue academic.
How long Fairley remained with Queen's is unknown, with early team pictures from 1915 identifying J. Nutt as the club's trainer. He was succeeded at some point by John Nutt, who retired between the wars and was followed by Robert Manderson, who was in charge from at least 1929 until he died on Saturday 27th April 1946. On at least one occasion, against Holland in 1938, Manderson was also in charge of training the Scotland team.
The next known occupant, Willie Gibson (a two times winner of the FA Cup with Newcastle, son of Neil Gibson, a full internationalist with Scotland and brother of Wembley Wizard Jimmy), took over in the summer of 1946 and remained in charge until the end of the 1962/63 season.
It is also known that for some time Gibson was assisted by John Thomson, who died in April 1960.
The start of the 1963/64 saw the biggest name yet to take over at Hampden when former Scottish internationalist Eddie Turnbull took over the reins, admitting in his autobiography that the house in Mount Annan Drive (next door to the groundsman's house) that came with the job was a major attraction!
From being near the bottom of the old Second Division, Turnbull had Queen's challenging for promotion when he left for Aberdeen in March 1965, signing off with a 3-0 win over East Fife at Hampden.
Turnbull was followed in August 1965 by Harry Davis, who stayed until he left for a short-lived spell on the Ibrox coaching staff in November 1969
The final head coach before the Match Committee relinquished their power over team selection was Tommy Duncan, who remained in post from November 1969 to May 1974
*If you can help with any names or dates, or to correct any errors, please e-mail me at "mail at qpfc.com"