David McParland was appointed to the Head Coaches position at Queen's Park in July 1974 following the departure of trainer Tommy Duncan.

He had previously been a one club man, having been associated all his life with Partick Thistle, firstly as a player, then as Assistant Manager and finally as Manager when Scot Symon moved upstairs at Firhill following Thistle's relegation to Division Two at the end of the 1969/70 season.

McParland brought Thistle straight back up in 70/71, and the following season brought one of the biggest cup upsets as his Thistle team thrashed Celtic 4-1 in the League Cup Final at Hampden.

Following mid-table finishes in 72/73 and 73/74, McParland walked out on Thistle after a disagreement with the board, and to the surprise of many was unveiled as the new Head Coach at Queen's a few weeks later.

His first league campaign at Hampden didn't set the heather on fire, Queen's finishing 16th out of the 20 clubs, two places below where they had finished in each of the previous two seasons, and well away from getting into the new First Division as the League structure was altered to three divisions.

David McParland with the Queen's Park supporters in December 1975

However, McParland led his team to another cup upset as Queen's travelled to Ayr, who were well placed to grab a top ten place in the First Division,  in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup, and goals from Hugh McGill and Jamie Paton trumped ex-Spider Alex Ingram's goal for the home side.

1975/76 brought a new league set-up, and Queen's finished a creditable fourth out of fourteen, but at the end of the season McParland was offered the job as Assistant to Jock Stein at Parkhead and he resigned his position at Hampden.

He remained at Celtic for two years, and went on to become manager at Hamilton Accies, although after four seasons there he parted company with the Douglas Park side in the autumn of 1982 and never managed another team.   

Click here to see David McParland's stats

 Back| Home