HISTORY

1867 - 1874:

"At half past eight o'clock on the 9th of July 1867, a number of gentlemen met at No 3 Eglinton Terrace for the purpose of forming a "football club".

So reads the opening line of the first minutes of the Queen's Park Football Club, which decided very little other than what to call the fledgling club.

Many of the early members were Highlanders, and names proposed for the club included Morayshire and Northeners, but it was agreed that the name should bear some relation to the locale in which they were to play, and so the name of Queen's Park was taken.

The gentlemen had been inspired up take up football when, while practising their athletics on the Queen's Park Recreation Ground, locals from the YMCA were kicking a ball about on an adjacent part of the Recs. They played the YMCA in a kick about one night, and enjoyed the game so much that they  decided to adopt football as their principal sport.

As Queen's were the first football club in Scotland they were forced to play games amongst themselves (with matches between "Smokers" and "Non-Smokers" for example), and it took almost a year before the club played a game of football against another club, and on the 1st of August 1868 Queen's beat fellow Glasgow club Thistle (no relation to Partick) by two goals to nil.

It took another nine months before the next match, when Hamilton Gymnasium were beaten by four goals to nil. Another seven games followed over the next two and half years, all resulting in wins for Queen's Park, and without the club conceding a goal.

By 1870 Queen's had joined the English FA, and were contributors to the cost of buying the FA Cup. However, the costs of travelling South prevented Queen's from playing any games in the competition until they were drawn against Wanderers in the semi final of the 1871/72 competition.

The venue for this game was Kennington Oval, now better known as a cricket test match ground. The other semi final in the competition had been scheduled to be played on the same day, and had Queen's won their tie, then the final was to be played the following day so that Queen's would not have to travel down twice.

However, the game finished goalless, and Queen's were forced to scratch as they couldn't afford to travel for the replay. For several years Queen's took no part in the English competition, and instead turned their focus to the Scottish Cup, which was founded and first competed for in 1873/74, with a total entry of sixteen clubs.

Queen's were drawn to face Dumbreck in the first round of the inaugural competition, and this was the first game to be played in the first Hampden Park, and also the first game in which the one inch black and white hoops were worn. Queen's continued their record of not conceding a goal since their formation, and won by seven goals to nil.

Eastern were disposed of by one goal to nil in the second round, and in the semi final Renton were beaten 2 - 0.

That set up a final against Clydesdale, who at the time were based in the Kinning Park area of Glasgow before moving to Crossmyloof a couple of years later, and Queen's won, again by two goals to nil, to become the first team to lift the Scottish Cup.

1874 to 1900 

Home