Born in Cairo in August 1914, goalkeeper Mustafa Mansour must have led one of the most diverse careers of any Queen’s Parker, from footballer to student to manager to Cabinet Minister.

His playing career commenced in his native Cairo at Al-Ahly, and his form there was enough to see him selected for the Egyptian national team that travelled to the 1934 World Cup in Italy, the only appearance by an African side in the World Cup until 1970. With the competition then played on a straight knock-out basis, a 4-2 defeat to Hungary in Naples ended Egyptian interest in the tournament after just one match, Mansour collecting a broken nose in the match as he was fouled in the lead up to the fourth Hungarian goal.

Egypt’s coach at this tournament was a Scotsman, James McCrae, and whether or not that had an influence on Mansour is unknown, but after playing for Egypt at the infamous 1936 Olympics he headed for Scotland and enrolled at Jordanhill College, signing up at the same time to play for Queen’s.

Making his debut in April 1937, he established himself as the first choice goalkeeper following the retirement of Desmond White (who went on to become Celtic Chairman).

His play won great acclaim, and when Queen's beat Rangers in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup in September 1938, Mansour was described in the papers as "The hero who took the Glasgow Cup from Rangers".

Queen's had led by a single goal at the interval, but 13 minutes after the break Mansour was injured in an incident which led to Rangers equalising from the penalty spot. However, he refused to leave the field despite being obviously handicapped, and further goals from Kyle for Queen's and Fiddes for Rangers took the tie to extra time.

Buchanan netted again to put Queen's back in the lead, but four minutes from time Rangers were awarded another penalty, but this time Mansour saved from Vinters to secure a hard fought and famous victory.

His career at Hampden ended as he returned to Egypt in the summer of 1939 as war loomed, having made 49 appearances for Queen’s.

Whilst at Hampden he had also reportedly turned down an offer of a £5,000 signing on fee from Celtic, as he was quite content just playing football and was not interested in money, and after returning to Egypt he would regularly returned to Scotland in the 50's to see Queen's play every couple of seasons.

Following the end of the war, Mansour turned to football management and returned to his former club Al-Ahly (who were named as the African “Club of the Century” by the Confederation of African Football in 2000), and following this worked as Secretary General in the Confederation of African Football from 1958 to 1961. Mansour’s varied career continued following this, and he also rose to the ranks of Cabinet Minister in the Egyptian Government.

Mansour died in his native Cairo in July 2002, aged 87.

Back| Home